Hey fellas , here on the birthdaynights.com we have an exciting post for you ,which will help you to wish your
friends , girlfriend/boyfriend or your close liaisons to wish them in an unique way , yeah let’s wish them in German . Don’t worry you don’t need to be proficient in German , still you can wish them happy birthday in German , just by learning few set of words or writing it down in chicken scratch manner will do.
At the end of this tutorial you will surely learn to wish your German friends or German teammates out there and will be obliged to wish them Happy birthday in German. But i would like to warn you on a serious note. Old Germans and many new people too get offended often if you wish them before their birthday. The reason they get offended is in their culture is is considered bad luck to wish them beforehand and your effort can be completely haste. So better refrain yourself from doing it.And in-case if you are sending them birthday cards or gifts , make sure you send them exactly on their day of their birthday , which would be apt if they open on the same day. So lets begin our voyage to wish happy birthday in German language.
Common ways of wishing happy birthday in German
There are two phrases in German which are used in abundance.
- “Alles Gute zum Geburtstag”
- “ Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag.”
(heartfelt congratulations for your birthday)
Both of the phrases are most used all over the place by Germans. Well there are many other ways too , let’s go into nuts and bolts of saying happy birthday in German.
Using Canonical German
1. Say out loud “Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!“
“Alles Gute zum Geburtstag”- The nearest translation of phrase would be have a euphoric birthday or can be stated
in other way as “Have a good birthday”. Let’s dig into all the words of phrase ” Alles Gute zum Geburtstag” so that you would have a better understanding in your psyche.
- First word “Alles” is a pronoun which means all.”
- Gute has its root deep to parent German adjective “gut,”which explicitly means good.
- zum comes from preposition of German language “zu,” meaning “to” or “for.”
- The most important word Geburtstag means “birthday” in German. You can pronounce “Alles Gute
zum Geburtstag” as ah-less goo-teh tsuhm geh-buhrtz-tahg.
2. Say politely “Herzlichen Glckwunsch zum Geburtstag.“
The most used line to say happy birthday in german after “Alles Gute Zum Geburtstag ” is the good line “Herzlichen Glckwunsch zum Geburtstag.” This statement can be translated int laymen’s english as simply happy birthday or figuratively as heartfelt congratulation for your birthday. let’s ponder over the vocables.
- The word Herzlichen is carved out from “herzlich,” german adjective which conveys feeling of being “heartfelt,” “sincere,” or “cordial.” Second on the rack , Glückwunsch means “congratulation.” or “felicitation”.
- We knew that zum meant “on” or “to” or “for”.
- “Gerburtstag” is the german verbatim for birthday
- Articulation of statement will be as hairtz-lich(“ch” as in “aCH” NOT as in “CHair”)-enn glook-vuhnsh tsoom geh-buhrtz-tahg.
3. Late lackluster , say a belated happy birthday and apologize.
Germans hate people wishing them late so beware of the consequences i won’t come to save you. No offence , that was for pun. But if any of your German colleague is angry on you for not wishing him birthday , just say this belated happy birthday in German with some flowers which can help to make it up to him.
“Herzlichen Glückwunsch nachträglich” or “Nachträglich alles Gute zum Geburtstag” is the German way of saying Belated happy birthday and both of them are acceptable and both mean the same . The etymology for it ? here it is for you .
- “later” or “belated” is translation for Nachträglich.
- “Belated heartfelt birthday” is meant by “Herzlichen Glückwunsch nachträglich” which is articulated as hairtz-lich(“ch” as in “ach” NOT as in “CHair”)-enn glook-vuhnsh nach(“ch” as in “aCH” NOT as in “CHair”)-traygh-lich(“ch” as in “aCH” NOT as in “CHair”).
- Happy Belated Birthday – Nachträglich alles Gute zum Geburtstag.
4. Another way of saying happy birthday.
“Alles das Beste zum Geburtstag!” says ” all the best have a good birthday” where “alles” means everything , “Zum” means for, “das Beste ” means the best. And as per your apprehension Geburtstag means birthday.
Pronunciation of the phrase will be “ah-less dahss behsteh tsoom geh-buhrtz-tahg”.
Thank you for reading the post!